18.10.12

Sewing inspiration: Velvet dress

It's been on my mind for the whole week. I want a velvet dress. I think a velvet dress is perfect for winter, for christmas. I want to share some of my favourite velvet dresses I pinned on my Pinterest. Just some eye candy and some inspiration! Some modern, some vintage.


Source
Source
Source

Source
Source
I wanted to use velvet for my 40s pleated dress, but my sewing teacher is advising against it. The fabric will be too thick for the pleats. Now I have a dilemma: sew another dress with velvet or remove the pleats of the pattern... 

What do you think of velvet dresses?



4 comments:

  1. I love velvet but to get a real 40s look you will need to buy VERY expensive real silk velvet. any other kind may look cheap and is unlikely to have the drape you want. I'd go with a different fabric really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your advice! That's the tricky part with velvet, it can look very cheap.

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely not alone in your desire for a velvet dress. I adore velvet and used to wear it a lot when I was younger, but don't have very many velvet pieces these days, as I mostly wear 40s and 50s styles (there were certainly velvet garments made during those decades, but not nearly as many as in the 30s). I really shouldn't spend money on myself as the holiday season approaches, but I sense that if I do buy a new (as in vintage!) dress again this year, it's going to be a velvet beauty in line with the wonderful examples you highlighted here.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. These patterns are so beautiful. I love the idea of velvet for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!