2.3.13

Let's talk about books!

Today I won't write about sewing or knitting, it's about reading!

Vandaag gaat het niet over naaien of breien, maar gaat het over lezen!

Source

I used to read a lot. As a child I read one book after the other. And I continued this when I went to high school and university. I had to travel a lot with the public transport to get my education. That meaned lots of reading time!

Ik heb altijd veel gelezen. Als kind zijnde verslond ik het ene na het andere boek. Ook toen ik naar de middelbare school ging en later ging studeren bleef ik veel lezen. Ik moest dagelijks met de bus en/of trein om naar school/uni te gaan. Dit betekende dat ik veel tijd om te lezen!

Source

Through the years I shifted between different genres. I like historical novels, classic literature and fantasy. Sometimes I'm interested in a specific period, person, or author/series. After a while (mostly a couple of months up to a year) I change to something different. But I almost stick to the genres mentioned above.

Door de jaren heen wisselde ik tussen verschillende genres. Ik lees graag historische romans, klassieke literatuur en fantasy. Soms ben ik geïnteresseerd in een bepaalde periode, persoon of auteur/serie. Na een tijdje (meestal een aantal maanden tot een jaar) lees ik weer andere boeken. Maar ik blijf bijna altijd in de bovengenoemde genres.

Source

I have been reading about Cleopatra, Geisha's, WWII, medieval times, communism or 19th century Russian literature. Just to name a few, there is much more!

Ik heb zoal gelezen over Cleopatra, Geishas, Tweede Wereldoorlog, middeleeuwen, communisme en 19e eeuwse Russische literatuur. Dit zijn slechts enkele voorbeelden, er is nog veel meer!

Source

Lately I haven't been reading as much as I used to. I go to work with the car or I take my bicycle, so no more reading in public transport. I only read before I go to sleep. But sometimes I'm so tired I don't even finish reading one page. It takes ages to finish a book and it's harder to get into the story.

De laatste tijd lees ik niet zoveel meer. Ik ga met de auto of op de fiets naar het werk, dus ik lees niet meer in de bus of trein. Ik lees alleen nog voor ik ga slapen. Maar soms ben ik zo moe dat ik niet eens ene pagina lees. Op deze manier duurt het zo lang om een boek uit te lezen en het is lastiger om in het verhaal te komen.

Source
It seems I can't find the right book that get me hooked again. A few years ago I started reading G.R.R Martin's series 'A song of Ice and Fire'. The first three books were marvelous I couldn't put them aside. Last december I started reading the 4th book of this serie. But I don't like it as much as the other books. I'm net getting into the story. So I tried other books but it's still not working. At some point I had over ten books laying on my night table, none finished. 

Het lijkt wel of ik niet het juiste boek kan vinden waardoor ik door blijf lezen. Een paar jaar geleden ben ik begonnen met G.R.R. Martin's boeken uit de serie 'A song of Ice and Fire'. De eerste drie delen waren fantastisch, ik kon ze niet aan de kant leggen. In december begon ik met het vierde deel van deze siere, maar ik vind het tegenvallen. Ik kom maar niet in het verhaal. Ik besloot iets anders te gaan lezen, maar ook daar kom ik maar niet in het verhaal. Op een gegeven moment had ik meer dan tien boeken op mijn nachtkastje liggen, waarvan ik geen enkele uit had gelezen.

Source
Maybe I should reread some of my favourite books. It's really tempting, but I want to discover new books!

Misschien dan maar mijn favoriete boeken opnieuw lezen? Het is zeer verleidelijk, maar ik wil liever nieuwe boeken ontdekken!

Source
That's why I'm writing this blog. Do you read? Please tell me, what are your favourite books/genres? Maybe it will inspire me. And most importantly: what do you do, to get into reading again? 

Vandaar deze blog. Lees je graag? Vertel me dan wat je favoriete boeken/genres zijn? Wie weet zit er wat voor mij tussen. En nog belangrijker: Wat doe je om meer te lezen?

9 comments:

  1. Some great choices there - I love the Assassin's quest trilogy.

    There's a vintage book club over at Goodreads that I joined recently - check it out here:
    http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/88633-vintage-book-group

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the whole series is amazing! But the Assassins Quest trilogy is my favourite!

      Thanks for the link, I will check it out soon!

      Delete
  2. I love to read, Robin Hobb is great :)
    When I am not in a reading mood, I change what I am reading. I'll let people make suggestions, or try something new at the library. Sometimes I am delightfully surprised ;)
    Currently, I am very much into the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. You might well enjoy some of the latter- maybe Ilona Andrews or Kelly Gay, Kim Harrison- I know, here is a list you can browse :)
    http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/urban-fantasy
    I hope you get your reading mojo back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! I never heard of the paranormal romance and the urban fantasy genres, but maybe I will work for me! I will take a closer look to that list!

      Delete
  3. I love reading, always have done! At the moment I am reading lots of Second World War social history, mostly about the experiences of women at the time. I like to read all sorts, historical fiction, modern fiction, classics, crime and biographies. Have you tried going to or starting up a book group? I find that gets you into reading books you might not normally pick up and you get lots of recommendations from other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you recommend me some titles of what you've been reading lately?

      No, never tried, I will see if there's something around here.

      Delete
  4. I'm always picking up things at the library-- it's funny how since I started working there, I actually seem to read *less*, or finish books less, because there's always something great just around the corner, or just sitting on a shelf! Attention deficit disorder for bookworms, haha!

    I think I'm going to try to read some of the books on these syllabi for courses taught by writers, check it out, there's some good stuff there! Maybe it will make me more focused. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child I wanted to work in a library!

      Tose syllabi are interesting! Thanks for sharing the link!

      Delete
  5. I adore reading and have always been a voracious reader. If I don't have a couple of books on the go at least, there's something seriously wrong! :) Generally speaking, my favourite genres are non-fiction, history, howto, and classic literature, but there's really no type of book I'd pass up if the subject matter caught my eye.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!