7.2.14

The hooded scarf

About a month ago I wrote about some smaller knitting/crocheting projects I would like to do after I finished my cardigan. Well, the cardigan isn't finished, but I did start another knitting project. When I was sewing up the cardigan I discovered I made a mistake. I think I miscalculated something because the sleeveheads turned out way too big. My patience was gone. I needed a break from the cardi, and decided to knit myself a hooded scarf.

Source
Of course, I had to make some changes, like I most often do with my crafting projects. I had this great idea to add some colorwork to the scarf. In the picture you see that a part of te scarf is folded over. And I wanted to add roses to this folded knitwork. 


I had something romantic in mind with flowers. Because I love roses it was an easy decision. I designed a intarsia chart, something I haven't done before (both intarsia knitting and designing my own colorwork chart). And after some exercise I was ready to knit the real thing. 


The scarf itself is knitted in ribbing. I hate ribbing! But with thicker knitting needles (4 mm) it's doable. It's still not my favourite thing to do, but it's better then knitting with 2 mm needles like I did with my cardigan.


This is the strap with the roses, which I will on the scarf. For this piece I used the stockinette stitch. I knitted the main color of the roses but the second color is embroidered to the knitwork. I learned that with intarisa it's very difficult when you have to many changes of colors in a row. My mom adviced me to embroider the 2nd color instead of knitting it. 

As a finishing touch I want to crochet a nice scalloped edge around the strap and scarf. But at the moment I can't do much because I don't have any yarn left. Luckily, the mailman will bring me new yarn this afternoon so I can finish this one.
In the meantime I'm correcting the sleeves of my cardi.

What is your current knitting project? Do you like to change the original pattern?

P.S. At the moment I'm only writing in English. For now, it's too time consuming to write in Dutch too. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 

12 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Mine is all black but adding some color is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A solid color is great too!

      Delete
  2. That's very pretty! I really like it. I am glad you are feeling better, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressed with your chart and pattern. It looks great, it is going to be stunning! I am about yo start knitting a 1950's cable cardigan for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to see your finished cardigan!

      Delete
  4. The scarf is lovely! Well done :) I have just finished a sweater that was meant for the mister, but to make a long story short; I now have a new sweater. Just starting on a cardigan for my father now, better get my gauge sorted :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, you're very grand knitting things for other people!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's beautiful! You've done an amazing job on it. I'm currently knitting a cardigan, but I haven't changed anything on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love to see your cardigan when it's finished. Which pattern are you using?

      Delete
  6. This is tremendously pretty (and, interestingly, somewhat similar looking to a scroll hanging cross stitch that I did back in my teen years). I love winter items that call flowers/floral patterns into play - they're a great way to keep the spirit of the warmer half of the year alive and with you at all times during the snowy season.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! I totally agree with you :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!