31.7.14

Finished Lutterloh 29!

I didn't think I would be able to finish a sewing project before moving home. But I did! This will probably the last sewing project at my old place. So, it's a good closure! 


I recreated this dress from the 1941 Lutterloh pattern book. What I really like about this dress is the pocket detail, the notched collar and of course the puffed sleeves :) 

Whil writing the blogpost I realised I forgot about the pockets at hip level. Well, I don't like accentuating my hips anyway!
It took quite some time to finish the dress. This was not because it was extremely difficult. But I didn't feel like sewing most of the time and the striped fabric scared me away a bit. It's easier to get your mojo back with an easy project without caring about matching the fabric. But I find it really hard to leave a project unfinished, so I got on with it anyway.


I changed the pattern by making it a complete button down closure instead of stopping halfway as you can see at the illustration. I just like being practical. 


There are a few things I don't like about the dress. The first thing is that it sometimes looks like that the stripes aren't matching at the button closure. They do! But when I move the fabric moves place. And secondly, I wished the fabric is a bit drapier. It's quite stiff and doesn't follow my body as smoothly as I like it to be.


What else can I say? I really don't know. Just that I'm happy with finishing another Lutterloh dress!

28 comments:

  1. I love this dress. it suits you beautifully. The slim cut and the length are really flattering

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont worry about the button closure, as much as i see at the picture the dress is awesome and perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I shouldn't mind, but when I see the pictures it's really distracting!

      Delete
  3. Wow, very nice! Very fresh fabric, that looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! You look so good in these style dresses :) I say, don't worry about the stripes looking misplaced in the front. They aren't. Still shots always do the weirdest things to stripey objects :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siri! It's annoying because I paid a lot of attention to matching the strips at the closure :S

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful dress! I love the red and white stripes and it's so flattering too.
    I'm doing a skirt making class at the weekend so maybe one day I will be able to make something as lovely as this!
    Rowena x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your skirt making class!

      Delete
  6. oh, hij is mooi geworden! Rood staat je goed zeg! Ik denk dat het met die zakken erop ook wel een beetje druk was geworden, zo is 'ie erg mooi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh its really pretty! I know how you feel about fabrics being not drapey enough. I get annoyed at cottons sometimes for this reason. But the dress looks great!
    May I ask where you got your shoes? Theyre really great 40s style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The shoes are from Chelsea Crew. I bought them a few years ago at Modcloth. They have affordable vintage style shoes!

      Delete
  8. Ooo! This is gorgeous! I love the stripes, and the collar is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very happy with the collar, it was a bit challenging to sew.

      Delete
  9. I love it! The red and white stripes give the dress a very fresh look :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is extremely beautiful! I LOVE stripes, and you did a great job on the pattern. I wouldn't like to emphasis my hips, as I'm wider than you, but you are so slim, the pockets certainly wouldn't have done harm to your silhouette. :-) But it's wonderful also without. The sleeves look adorable!
    I'm still working on my first Lutterloh, and I'm not so happy with my project so far, so your post is a source of inspiration and motivates me to carry on.

    I'm happy you found your motivation to finish the dress. And all the best for your move!

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lutterloh can be quite challenging! I hope you can make it work! Love to see the result :)

      Delete
  11. And that you should be, sweet dear, it looks fantastic on you!!! I love how most of the fabric on the pocket is going horizontally while elsewhere its vertical. Awesome touch!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this dress looks great on you. The stripes look really good. Recently I found a 1970's Lutterloh book in a charity shop, the illustrations are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this dress looks great! Love the effect of the stripey fabric and that pocket detail. Really well done. I should definitely sew more from my Lutterloh-book, still so many gorgeous patterns to make.
    (and by the way, beautiful shoes!)
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lekker laat, maar ik wilde nog zeggen; hij is super leuk! Ik hoop dat je verhuizing een beetje soepeltjes verloopt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would wear this dress right away! the striped print is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!