14.2.18

Finished: 1930s Inspired Halloween Dress

5 comments:
Hi!

I'm a little behind with updating my blogs, but today I want to share the dress I made for Halloween with you. Since carnaval started yesterday I took the opportunity to write this blogpost and share my Halloween dress :P


When I thought about organising a Halloween party at my place I wanted to go for a witchy kind of look and was inspired with the velvet dresses from the 1930s. I love the long sleek silhouette and the sleeves of these dresses. 



With the help of my sewing teacher I drafted my own pattern. I bought a very cheap velour fabric to make a muslin and started to search for fabric for the real dress. But I never get to make the 'real'dress because I didn't have enough time and I really liked how my muslin turned out. You wouldn't believe I only spent like 10 euro's on material for this dress!



The upper part of the skirt is quite figure hugging and in the lower part I added four godets to give it some more flare and a wider range of motion. 



Since this is a muslin there are still a few alterations I would like to make if I would make this dress agains. First of all the train on the back of the skirt could have been made a bit bigger. I would have made a facing for the opening in the sleeves, now I just fold the seam allowance to the inside and used a invisible stitch to hem the seams. But the gap is quite wide and it will show the inside of the fabric. 



I didn't want to add a withc hat, instead I made a headband with some fake flowers. The sash I borrowd from another dress I made years ago. 

When I have enough budget I would love to buy reall silk velvet and make this dress again!